Friday, April 29, 2005

Clouds

When I was a child, we had a picnic table in our backyard. I used to take a towel and spread it out on the table, and lie on my back to watch the clouds. I could lie there and watch them for hours, puffy and white, drifting by.

I was so in the moment. I didn't have anywhere else to be, nothing else to do, nothing weighing on my mind.

If I did that now, I think I would dwell on the laundry that needs doing, barn that needs cleaning, or a hundred other tasks that haunt me regularly. Either that, or I would fall asleep.

I think I will resolve to schedule some time for myself each day this summer. Like a prescription for myself, sanity time that can't be skipped. Doctor's orders.

Maybe I will ask for a hammock for mother's day.

1 comment:

Michael said...

mine was a hammock when I was a child. Not only the clouds but the stars at night too.

Take Care
Michael