Friday, May 13, 2005

Sneaky Stallion

So I walk into the barn last night, and I am greeted at the door by Major. He is quite calm, with a mouth full of hay. He has torn up an entire bale of good alfalfa-- never touched the crappy grass hay, of course.

He has also knocked the top off of the pellet feed. It's not as enticing as the grain, so he didn't pillage that. It's a good thing we keep the grain in a 50 gallon metal drum, with a locking lid. But then again, that's exactly why we keep it locked up.

He looks at me casually, like I am just a cat walking through or something. I calmly say, "Get back in your stall" and he does. He moseys over there like it's no big deal.

This is now the second time that I have been negligent and he has gotten out. Or so I thought...

This has happened twice, but those 2 times have been in the last 10 days...

And he now has a new "neighbor" next to him...

PECOS!

Yes, Don Pecos has been able to get the latch open. I have had to tie Major's latch closed with some baling twine. This weekend we will have to work on a more permanent solution.

But I wonder what he is thinking. Was he thinking, "If I open Major's stall, he'll go over there and bring us all some hay" or "If I open the dork's stall and let him out, it will be funny to see him get into trouble" or maybe "What does this thing do? Oooh! Fun!" ?

Then again, maybe he was just up for the challenge of manipulating the latch with his lips.

If you think that they can't, read this great article: What was that horse thinking?

1 comment:

Michael said...

Ooooh, a conspiracy theory!


Take Care
Michael