Sunday, June 19, 2005

R&R Sunday

Yesterday we baled nearly 6 tons of hay. Yep, that's right, even my math-challenged self can calculate that 239 50-pound bales of hay equals 5.975 TONS of hay.

We baled and stacked it on the hay racks, then brought it into the shed and restacked it all on pallets.

Michael Knight came over and helped-- what a friend! When you ask your friends to help you move, it's kind of that "dreaded favor." You know you'll sacrifice your weekend to be paid back in pizza and beer. But this, THIS was a HUGE sacrifice for any friend. And he volunteered!

B and MK worked their butts off, and though I worked hard, they worked circles around me.

Surprisingly, none of us are sore today. We are all feeling fine, but just tired. That's good, I think we were all bracing ourselves for the pain and stiffness to remind us that while we think we're young, we are really too old to be out in 90 degree weather for hours straight lifting TONS of hay.

Actually, I think it was the roast and potatoes I fixed for supper that made our bodies forgive us. : )

In the greater scheme of things, our tiny 6-acre hay field is nothing compared to some farmers' operations. I can't imagine square-baling any larger of a field, yet there are people who do it quite often.

***

Happy Father's Day! What did you get your dad?

We got B some car wash stuff. I have been driving his car a little more lately (for various reasons) and he doesn't like me to drive fast on the gravel in the morning (like over 20 mph) because it makes the dust stick to the dew on his car.

Well, for a perpetually late person like myself, driving under 20 mph is just not possible.

So, hopefully this will help him and his dusty car out!

Off to the hammock for some recuperation!

No comments: