Friday, July 22, 2005

i surrender! i surrender!

Current Conditions:
93.4 °F / 34.1 °C
Partly Cloudy
Heat Index: 118 °F / 48 °C
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 83 °F / 28 °C
Wind: 1 mph / 1.6 km/h from the ESE

I hate to belabor the point. I know you all are sick of hearing me moaning about the weather. But can you, just for a moment, imagine that you are in a tiny bathroom. Taking the hottest shower you can stand. And someone is pumping heat into that room, like when you are driving along in the middle of winter and your heat is on max and it's making your face hot-- that kind of heat. So it's steamy, and it's make-your-face-red hot.

That's my world right now. In short, it's miserable.

So we finally bought two window a/c units. You would have thought we'd won the lottery, we're so darn giddy. They were difficult to install. Oh, not because it was hard, but because we were so hot, sweaty and cranky that we couldn't stand to even wait or make the effort it took to install them. But that is behind us now, and our bedroom is a frosty 72 degrees. And we are still married.

We were cautious, as our electricity is "tender." We only have 80 amps to the house, and each room upstairs has only one outlet. They were a luxury at one time!! With 2 a/c units upstairs, on likely the same circuit, we have unplugged all but the necessities (other than the cubes!). We carefully researched and bought the maximum btus for the minimum amps.

For the first time in ages, I was freezing cold last night when I slept. And boy, it felt good. Both kids were sleeping with comforters this morning, and it made me happy. I know that they have not slept well in weeks from the hot, humid weather. It takes forever to get to sleep.

Well, now that I've finally given in and surrendered to ugly, window a/c units, I'm going to go take a nap in my frosty room!

No comments: