Saturday, July 02, 2005

Our Excellent Adventure

Yesterday we went to Omaha to take L to the airport. He is spending a week with grandparents in Phoenix. M is staying here, as she has summer school.

On the way back, we encountered construction and congestion on I-80, as it was the holiday weekend and there were a lot of cars on the road.

Before I could realize that I was turning into my grandfather, we elected to get off of the interstate and take a side road. We found our way through Avoca, and onto Walnut, through Marne, Atlantic (the Coca-Cola Capital of Iowa!), Anita, and then back onto I-80. After we had travelled a ways, and had several discussions, I decided that I would keep track of the conversations. The comments went something like this:

"Wow, look at that barn. They've really kept it up here."

"Look! Someone's buildling a new pole barn!"

"All the farms are really tidy out here."

"How many cattle do you think that guy has on that land?"

"The corn has really bounced back from the cool, wet spell we had earlier this summer."

"Look at those deer in the field! I wonder how much damage they're doing to that farmer's soybeans."


I can't believe what an "agricultural" conversation we had!



No comments: