Friday, October 21, 2005

my shocking chakras

Are your chakras in balance?

If you are not familiar with this term, don’t turn to me for explanation! : ) Seriously, Eileen and I have been working on balancing my chakras and becoming grounded and peaceful. As you have read previously, my life is about my continuing quest for peace. I think I have found a way to get there physically.

Chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning “circle” or “wheel”, but a compilation of definitions from various websites explains the concept this way (and if you know more than I do, feel free to leave a comment and fix my gaffes):

A centre of energy, or point of spiritual power, located in the body where the subtle nerve channels converge like the spokes of a wheel. Six major chakras lie within the central channel. When awakened, kundalini shakti (energy) flows upward from the base of the spine through these six centres to the seventh chakra, the sahasrara, at the crown of the head. The chakra are involved in the regulation of body signal processing and the interaction between body and consciousness. The chakras play important roles for health, realization and spiritual development. Each chakra is generated by a nerve center and interacts with one or a group of hormone glands near its location those determine its operating point.

It was described to me that our bodies are like cylinders, channeling energy between the earth (being “grounded”) and the heavens. By not keeping our channels clear, the energy can be stuck. Think about it—if you are hunched over, if you don’t breathe correctly, if you keep your feelings inside, if you don’t take some time to think about peace and reflect on your spirituality and your own energy, you will really build up that angst and can even have health problems. So I am working on some physical and mental exercises to remain calm and grounded.

I had to speak publicly before a state licensing board the other day. I was very, very nervous, but I thought a lot about channeling my energy and breathing, and I was very conscious about my heart rate. I kept my feet on the floor to try and channel that energy upward and out (and downward from the heavens, too), and it really helped. I did fine!

You can dismiss it as hooey—that’s okay by me. I would completely understand. However, some things I’ve learned along the way in my short life have included having a tolerance for those things which sound crazy to me but work for someone else, and also that once I am open to things and follow along, that something might just be relevant to me. One may think that going to a psychologist and getting Prozac is the answer. And that may be the perfect answer for you. But for me, I would rather work hard on my energy level and be in touch with myself and conscious of the flow of shakti. I think that the last thing I need is to introduce something else into my body.

Of course, if it doesn’t work, there’s always prozac. : )

Seriously, I have done some physical exercises that have really proven the difference in my frame of mind after “meditating” (though I am not sure that I am doing it completely and correctly, so I am using that term loosely). Also, in my riding lessons in the past with M, we have worked on center of gravity, regulating the heartbeat and breathing while riding, and it’s amazing how it is all interconnected.

The other night I took my shoes off outside and just squished my toes into the grass and did some breathing and focusing with B. I don’t think it worked for him, but it was energizing and grounding for me. I think four farm has some great energy in its earth. And out there under the stars… it was amazing.

I am having fun learning about this and seeing it work in my life.

May your chakras be in balance and your kundalini be awakened! And have a great weekend. MK is coming over to ride on Sunday. If he doesn’t get frostbitten, it should be fun. It’s supposed to be COLD!

No comments: