Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Calm Before...

I went outside tonight to feed the horses. It was a lovely day today, probably near 55, though it was only forecast to be in the mid 40’s. The wind was brisk today, but this evening it had died down. It was one of those tranquil evenings, reminiscent of March (even though it is only mid February!), with the cool wind with just a hint of warmth as it glides over your skin. You can smell spring just itching to come out, that wet, earthy smell. I looked up and the sky was magnificent: I could see a gorgeous, golden, full moon just coming over the horizon. I honestly jerked my head to the east as I came out of the barn—I thought it was a fire on the horizon! I could see a faint pink in the west, the sun surrendering with its last, brilliant hurrah.

The stars are glorious in the spring (well, in the winter, too, but I don’t hang out outside long enough to appreciate them!). I could see Venus, Mars, a very prominent Orion’s Belt, the dippers, the Pleiades.

I can’t wait to break out the hammock.

(click on Bert for a slideshow)

No comments: