Tuesday, February 07, 2006

My Overworked Guardian Angels

On January 24th, for some reason, I was driving along and thought, "You know, we got new insurance in July and I am not sure if I recall putting my proof of insurance in my glove box." Now, WHO has thoughts like that?? WHY would I suddenly be driving along and have THAT thought? Six months after we got the cards in the mail?

So, I called my insurance agent, and had him fax the proof cards over to my office. I thought it might be just my luck to get stopped on the way home and not have my proof of insurance with me. He did so within the hour.

Today, on my way into work, my car was rear-ended in rush hour traffic. I am fine; my car is relatively fine (a small scuff, and maybe some damage that we can't see, like door alignment, etc.). The gentleman that hit me was fine, too. Not only was I thankful that we were all fine, but I was thankful that I had that out-of-the-blue thought a few days ago, and I got my proof of insurance in my car!

My guardian angels are very overworked keeping me on the straight and narrow.

My car was hit by a young man (just a few years younger than me-- I don't HAVE to admit that people a decade younger than I am are old enough to drive). Now, the man in front of me slammed on his brakes, and I nearly hit him. Traffic is always bad in a particular construction zone that I drive in every morning, and I really do try and keep a safe distance. But this morning, I jammed on my brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me. The man behind me just didn't hit his brake in time with enough space. It was pretty much inevitable, unless he was keeping an outlandish amount of space between us. Of course, one SHOULD, but we don't...

We both pulled to the side and jumped out, and we exchanged pleasantries (really, that's not facetious), and he apologized for hitting me, and making me late for work. I told him that the man in front of me braked hard, and it was just one of those things. We both commiserated about traffic, high insurance premiums, working downtown, and just general BS. Of course, we had plenty of time to do so, since the police took 25 minutes to arrive.

I can't imagine a more pleasant accident. : ) Only in Iowa. Have I mentioned how much I love it here?

1 comment:

Michael said...

Pleasant accident... now that is a thought.


Take Care
Michael