Friday, March 10, 2006

Daycare

Ugh, this daycare thing is really causing me grief. My kids have such a crazy schedule this summer, that it is hardly worth sending L to daycare. M can be home alone, but not with L there. The two of them together would really be a bad mix. M is visiting grandparents for part of the summer, several grandparents are visiting us for several days, and we have the county and state fairs, and a couple of weeks of camp…

L’s daycare has a policy that you can take 2 weeks off in the summer without having to pay, but you have to let them know in advance what weeks those will be. And, any additional weeks off you have to pay for.

I’ve calculated that through the 10 weeks of summer, they will be busy for 5 of the weeks. Of course, the days are hit and miss—sometimes it’s 3 days a week, sometimes it’s the whole week, etc.

We pay L’s daycare $120 a week for the summer (he is not in daycare except for the summer). But if you tried to ask someone to come to your house and pay them that wage hourly, for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, that amounts to less than $3.50 per hour! Putting an ad in the paper for a job paying $3.50 per hour is likely to bring only laughs, rather than applicants.

So I am stuck.

What do you do for summer care? I wish I could take the summer off…

1 comment:

Suzi said...

You should just pay it and stop complaining. You want someone to hold open a spot for you. But you don't want to pay for it. If you had any idea how difficult it is to make a living this way, you'd understand that it's a small price to pay to make sure your child has a safe place to be. Your provider/daycare deserves more than you penny pinching and griping.

I have 2 parents that are on vacation this week and low and behold they paid me for it without complaint! It usually doesn't happen. I often have to explain that if every parent takes all that time off, the total loss in income for me is 3,000-5,000 per year! I already work 7 days per week/24 hours per day just to try and make ends meet and offer this valuable service. I don't think I should have to live at the poverty line to do it.

If you don't like it.. Maybe you can quit your job and start a daycare. We'll see how fast you refuse to give time off without pay.