Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Starting my day with Honey

I am home from work today. L is sick (bummer, but just a cold), so it’s my day to stay home with him. For that reason, I was not pressed for time as I fed the animals today.

After everyone had eaten, and the horses had gone outside, I leaned over Cindi and Joe’s pen. Cindi was interested in nibbling and investigating everything about me that she could—though she has investigated me many times before. I guess it works both ways, because I can never get enough of petting and loving on my animals, either. As she tasted my gloves and my coat, and enjoyed my scratchings, my “parrot kitty” crept up and perched her body on my shoulders as I leaned over the pen. She tucked her legs under her chest and proceeded to purr and nap on me. Joe heard her and saw that Cindi was obviously not afraid, so he ventured over. I spoke softly to him, and he came up and sniffed the kitten, and then sniffed my nose. He didn’t stay long, but he was quite close for a short time.

All of this was accompanied by Garrison Keillor reading a poem from Robert Morgan, entitled "Honey":

“… Only calmness will reassure the bees to let you rob their hoard. Any sweat of fear provokes them. Approach with confidence, and from the side… If you go near bees every day they will know you.
 And never jerk or turn so quick you excite them…”

What a way to start my day.

No comments: