Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Rollercoaster

The year's four seasons, for me, are like a rollercoaster. Winter is somewhat at the low point. There are such good things about it, it's cozy, I love the snow, and the scenes are always magical. I love sledding and snow days and Christmas, and all of the fun things that come with it. I hate the dark days, with sunrise coming so late and sunset here before you know it. I hate breaking ice buckets in the barn, and worrying about the animals being so cold. I hate the bare trees, except when they are snow-covered, and I despise the bitterly cold days when it is subzero.

Spring is starting up the hill, rich with anticipation, looking forward to the thrill of being at the top. It's such a change from the winter, not just in that it's green vs. brown, but in the significance of that. Out of death and hibernation comes new life, and all the promise that it holds. Spring at our house is crisp air with warm sun, and lots of dew in the morning. It smells like damp hay and freshly cut grass, and horsehide. I appreciate it for what it is, but to my fault, I also appreciate it very much for what it signifies: Summer is coming.

For me, summer is the thrill. I think it stems from childhood, because some of the things that I *say* make me happy are really not true. For example, I say that summer is lazy and worry free. Umm, No. Not at my house now. Summer is crammed with plans, alternating with boring days that the kids spend at home (making me worry about what they will get into). Summer is desperation in finding a perfect childcare solution, it's extra money for daycare and more trips to the grocery store. It's a huge shift in schedule that is stressful on everyone. The days I remember as being warm and sunny are often oppressive and sticky. The animals are plagued with flies, and the manure can sometimes smell. Stalls should be cleaned daily to remove what attracts flies, and that work is always sweaty and dirty. Summer is starry nights and hammocking, and cookouts and staying up late. Not if you get up at 5:30 to work in the barn and then go to work. (But obviously, I like to pretend.)

Coming down the big thrilling hill is fall. I am still loving the weather and the routine, since the kids are back in school, but the peak is over, and the low point is ahead, which always makes me a little sad. The crisp nights discourage the flies, and in the mornings you can see your breath. The changing leaves are a sign of what is to come, and they always inspire me to take walks, lately with my camera in hand. Fall means Thanksgiving, my second favorite holiday, and football, and baking, and cozy kitchens, and canning and good smells. It means winterproofing and "battening down the hatches" and settling into the routines. And I love all of that.

For me, sadly, the craziest month of my year at work is October. So I am very busy, and unable to enjoy most of those things about fall. But this year, I think I am going to try and mentally adjust the peak. Maybe it should be right about now...

The kids are back in school, the days aren't quite as hot, but there are still plenty of warm days to get work done. The routines are back, and with the fall schedule comes some semblance of sanity. Fewer worries when the kids are at school, and reasonable expectations all around.

Soon it will be breeding time! Cindi will go on a date with Wolfgang, and we'll have even more spring babies. We are hoping for twins from the three does that will be bred (Cindi and the two does coming from our friends).

I am really going to try and love the winter for the break it provides, and the rest that it gives. We certainly need that-- and should look forward to it.

Oh, guess what I did... I went and entered my first show! It's September 9th, so start crossing your fingers now. I will show Wolfgang and Aurora. Luna is too tiny and fragile (arrgh) at this point, to show. She needs to beef up a little (or is that "goat up a little"?). We are also showing at a nearby county fair next Friday-- that's just 9 days away. Yikes!! L is showing his dairy goat, and I will show Aurora. No buck classes there, so Wolfie will stay home. B and I (and L) are frantically coming up with stall decorations and trying to put together all the supplies we'll need.

No comments: