Sunday, December 03, 2006

Blogging from Bed

No, it's not a kinky sex thing, or a John and Yoko thing (though that might be kind of fun and stress-relieving)-- we are sick with some sort of stomach virus. Ugh.

It started early Friday morning, like about 2:45, when I heard M's voice say, "Mom, I got sick in my bed." I can't illustrate enough how I hate those words. First of all, I abhor being awakened in the night. I am just selfish, I guess, or maybe I feel like my years of having babies young enough to wake up multiple times in the night are over. I really don't know the reason, but I am cranky, sometimes downright mean. Especially when it's like 30 minutes before my alarm is supposed to go off... Secondly, when there is a mess involved-- like, "Okay, get up in the night now, and be at your best, and make snap decisions, and hop to it!" No.Thank.You. I will just go back to sleep and pretend your telling me that you projectile vomited all over numerous items in your room was just a nightmare. Sleep well, love.

Alas, it was not a dream, but yes, it was quite a nightmare. She is a horrible patient, she should have been born a man. (And for the record, the men in my house are great patients. : ))

All Friday I stayed home and listened to her moan about her aching body, prepared various food items in a vain attempt to see what she could keep down, shared the couch with her, even though she was hogging the entire space... It's a mom's job, right?

L came home that afternoon and told us that 50 kids on the 3rd floor of their school (I would estimate that that's approximately 150 kids) were out sick with this virus, as well as numerous teachers. So it's a community effort.

Saturday things were a little better, though she was cranky and certainly not completely well. B had a project at work to get done, and was not home until nearly 4:00. Shortly after arriving home, he felt sick. Yep, you guessed it, it was all downhill from there. We spent the vast majority of the night with the light on while he practiced his aim into the bowl.

And now, I am blogging from bed, as I do everything in my power not to get sick, and also to take care of B. He has a fever, and is very cold. It doesn't help that the current temperature in our room is 58! We have some great quilts, though, and the three cats and two dogs are crowded around to offer their heat as well.

L and I are just counting down the hours until the inevitable. We keep asking ourselves if we feel sick, and we always say, "A little." We're just waiting... Hopefully by that time, B and M will be well enough to take care of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, your poor family! Maybe karma will intervene, and you will be spared.

I though I was getting the flu for about five minutes today, then it mysteriously went away.

Tell B. that those back at the office will be thinking about him. :-)

Anonymous said...

UGG, not good!! B is never gone from work for being sick!!

I hope everyone gets well soon, and you and L do NOT get it!