Monday, December 18, 2006

Jumping to Contusions

Saturday night B and I went out to feed the animals. I had gone to a meeting, so when we went out it was later than usual. I fed as I always do, and stopped a minute to pet Major as he ate. I must have startled him or made him think that in some way I was going to take his food, but he instantly lunged at me and bit me in the upper arm. It was an extremely hard impact, it happened so fast and suddenly that I had no idea what happened until took a couple of seconds to replay it all in my head. He bit me straight through my coat, and while he did not break the skin, I can't imagine what he would have done had I not been wearing a coat. Or if he would have bitten my face. He did not mean to do it in that way, he has never been aggressive to me, other than nipping for attention or stamping out of anger. He has been relegated to low horse on the totem pole in the pasture, and I am sure he was instinctively potecting his food from a horse-- he just assumed that it was another horse coming up next to him.

Too bad.

it HURTS!

3 comments:

Iowa Greyhound said...

Ouch, he bruised you good! At least it's long sleeve weather. :-)

Michael said...

Ouch

Take Care
Michael

Smukke said...

Dang, owch! Ice for 48 hours, then heat. (hugs!!)