Thursday, February 15, 2007

Devastation

Last night I bought feed, and I spent some extra time in the barn with the animals, as I cleaned up and mixed the feed ration. I took stock of Tango, as we don't know her kidding due date. I noticed that she had not made much of an udder, did not have a discharge, etc. I commented that perhaps she would kid after Cindi, who is due March 4. Initially, we thought she might kid a couple of weeks after Precious.

We were right the first time. I came out this morning to two beautiful doelings, dead. I don't know if they were stillborn or if they died from exposure. They were not frozen, though they were cold. They had not moved from where they were born, and one had not been cleaned off. Neither had nursed. I milked only about a cup of colostrum out of Tango.

I am so, so, so sad. I just feel sick.

: (

Tango is doing okay, physically. She is crying for her babies. Then again, so am I.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I am so sorry - for you and for Tango. {{{{Hugs}}}}