Friday, February 09, 2007

Goat Milking 101

You wouldn’t think it would be that hard, and it’s not. It’s just like everything else: anyone can pretty much do it, but once you get it down to a science, you realize there is somewhat of an art to it. I have yet to find that art.

First, it’s colder than you can believe. One must have warm hands to milk effectively. However, after working at it for a while, your hands do warm up.

Second, one cannot milk a moving target. It’s necessary to have enough food for the animal to last as long as you need to milk her out. Some people put their goats on a milking stand, and we only have a fitting stand (holds the head so they can’t eat—milking stands allow the animal to eat). We are considering buying an additional piece to allow us to use our stand for both. So we milk in the stall, and hope I’m done before she is.

Third, you need a good milking stool, which I don’t have. I am using a low bucket of goat minerals. It hurts my knees and back to crouch over.

Fourth, you need a good collection vessel. We don’t have the requisite stainless steel milk bucket, but I am eyeing them on eBay. I am currently using my Pampered Chef Batter Bowl, which is big and heavy and glass, and also has a cover. Keeping the cats out is very difficult, let me tell you, so the lid comes in handy.

And the hardest part is actually milking her. A Boer goat’s teat is very tiny compared to a cow’s—maybe even smaller than my pinky finger. One’s hand does not grasp around the teat easily to squeeze it when it’s that small. So I struggle with the motion of milking her. I am getting better, and now can do both sides at once, but I still feel like I must be hurting her.

Typically she gives about a quart of milk at a time, twice a day. So she is doing well. Her babies drink more than that, but it’s all we can expect from her when her babies are not nursing directly. We supplement with milk replacer.

Hopefully we can get them back out to momma soon. If it would only warm up…

4 comments:

Iowa Greyhound said...

I wonder if Pampered Chef ever thought their products would be used for goat milking. :-)

Caroline said...

Oh, so you're milking to feed the babies! Will the mama take them back after they've been away for so long? (Loved your video, btw!)

We milk our Nubian girls on purpose, so have a milk stand but not a fitting stand. My DH built mine. Check out plans at FiasCo Farm ( http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/milkstand.html ) if you have anyone handy.

Check on stainless steel buckets in the dog section of the feed store; quite a bit cheaper than regular milk buckets; also smaller, but if you're not doing this regularly it may be better. Buckets are less likely to tip over.

Love the teats on my Nubians!

Goat Mom said...

THANKS for the tips, Caroline! I will definitely check out the SS buckets at the dog section. I never thought of that... I did find some gross ones in the feed bucket section, but didn't check the dog section.

Also, we *hope* they will go back to momma. Does know their babies in the herd because they nurse them and, thus, they smell like them. A friend said hers went back w/no problems after 8 days. But it's been 10, and no warmup in sight. I have been wearing my clothes to the barn that I wear when I feed the babies, so it has their smell (and some poop) on it, so she can smell them. She nuzzles me when I milk her, so I wonder if she thinks I'm her baby!! We'll just cross our fingers...

I am looking forward to milking the Saanen-- MUCH easier, I know!

Smukke said...

Sounds like children's hands wold be better for goat milking. Either way, I get a good giggle from your vivid imagery of how it all works.... thanks as always for sharing!