Sunday, March 18, 2007

Country Speak Redux

Okay, I thought more of you would know the answer to this! I guess I am a bumpkin after all, eh?

Gee is the teamster's term to signal a turn to the right. If you are driving a horse, and you want him to turn to the right, you say, "gee, gee, gee, gee" until he turns as far/sharp you want him to turn. Haw is the term to signal a turn to the left. It's strange though, I have ridden and driven the same horse, but I have never told him to gee or haw when I was riding him. I don't know why you don't use the terms when you are riding the animal. He must wonder that, too. But he's so smart that he just does what he's told and realizes he's smarter than the people telling him what to do (like any good employee).

Anyway, if your road "gee-haws" at a point, it jogs left, and then jogs right. Yes, MK, the road gee haws just after you turn onto gravel, and hit the straightaway. It actually "haws" just before the Old Crow Farm, and then "gees" after it, and then goes up and down the hill. It also gee haws just past our house as you go up the corkscrew hill.

Quite a lot of them in my area. Thank God they are gee-haws and not jihads.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I never knew that.
A cool bit of knowledge to hold.

Take Care
Michael

Iowa Greyhound said...

Good explanation. Now I wonder what hee-haw means...