Monday, April 23, 2007

To Set You Straight

I have been reading a lot of things lately, forums that I participate in, as well as emails to my commercial website. And I have to say that even as a city girl (I was born in Phoenix, AZ), I am shocked at what people don't know. So, without any judgement, here are some facts that you need to know. These are things that other folks have asked about (though they have not actually asked me *all* of these questions). Don't ever say that I didn't try to edu-ma-cate ya:

1. Goats have no top teeth. If you look at your goat and it has no top teeth, there is no cause to panic or email me. They will not grow in, nor did your lovely pet grind them down to nothing. It's the way God made 'em.

2. Goats do not lay eggs. Eggs come from chickens or other types of poultry.

3. "Eggs from the farm" and "eggs from the store" are the same thing. They don't taste any different, except that farm eggs taste fresher and better. But don't say that you don't want eggs from the farm, you want them from the store. SAME THING.

4. Intact maile goats pee on their beards. Don't pet their golden beards unless you want a stinky hand.

5. If you want milk from any animal (goat, cow, sheep, whatever) you have to breed it first. No animal just spontaneously makes milk. And you have to breed it each year to keep the milk supply. Just like people.

6. Hens lay eggs with or without a rooster around. Hens make eggs. Roosters do that boy thing to 'em to make babies. Chickens have sex. No salmon-like-spawning going on. But they lay eggs with or without the boy.

7. Milk comes out white. You don't do anything to it to make it white. No strawberry or chocolate cows, either. And goats milk is also white.

8. Chickens are birds and can fly.

9. Yes, llamas really do spit. Don't ask me how I know.

10. Some chickens lay brown eggs, some lay white eggs. It depends on the breed. Both taste the same. Actually, some chickens even lay darker eggs, or blue or green eggs.

Okay, enough lessons for one day. I need to go to the barn to be skooled by my own animals.

1 comment:

Michael said...

awww... thank you for the laughs.
I can relate to so many of these.

Take Care
Michael