Friday, July 11, 2008

Why do I hate other people's children so much?

My son is having a sleepover tonight, and his best friend is visiting.  Now, honestly, when I say that I 'hate' other people's children, I don't really hate them.  I just hate that things are different in my house when other people's kids are here.  And I can't demand that they behave the way I want them to behave.


For example, this child is incredibly picky.  I mean, probably the pickiest I have ever seen.  He only likes fruit, and some meat.  Only pizza from certain places.  So I asked L what we should have for supper, and he said, "Oh, A likes hotdogs.  Let's have a cookout with hotdogs and brats."  Outstanding.  Then I ask L what we should have with it.  I said that we would get some potato and/or pasta salad, but I had a feeling that A would not like that.  He confirmed my suspicion, and said that A would just have chips.  So that is what we had.  EXCEPT, that the chips were not acceptable. They were not ruffled chips.  We got the plain, flat ones.  Losers that we are.


They are very, very loud when they are together.  And I'm not going to lie, I am one that likes my quiet.  I am used to being able to tell my kids to pipe down and not have anyone have hurt feelings or think I am an ogre.  Or, if they do think I am an ogre, tough, they can suck it up because I am their mother, and I gave birth to them, and if i am an ogre, then they are an ogre's child.  But I can't do that with guests.


I did make a HUGE demand.  This child is extremely video-game oriented.  Last time I said not to bring video games, and he slipped a gameboy in his pocket.  I told him to leave it home when we left to go somewhere, and he brought it.  THIS time, I told L that I did not appreciate the disrespect last time, and if he did, in fact, bring the video game, I would take his ass home immediately.


They are now upstairs playing with Legos.  


After playing poker (with cards and poker chips-- no video or online poker!) and running in the pasture with the baby goats.  


Next, we are going to milk L's goat.  And tomorrow, they are going to prepare L's goat for the fair, as he shows her next week.


Some people don't have video games, or if they do, they have no time to play them.  It's time for A to see how the other half lives!


Pray for my sanity...

No comments: