Sunday, January 16, 2005

A Good Day

We're having a cold spell. Tonight's weather:

Mostly clear. Low around 10 below. West wind near 10 mph. Wind chill readings 4 below to 16 below zero.

There's one thing that is begging to be done when it's this cold. Well, okay, there's THAT, but that's not the kind of blog I have! ; ) Home Improvement! That's what you do when it's unbearably cold!

We took down all the ceiling tiles in the dining room, and on the angled ceiling going up the stairs. I decided that the ceiling going upstairs was not going to be tiled in the future, so I took down the furring strips, anticipating significant damage. I was pleasantly surprised! There wasn't much damage at all! That gives me hope that there is not too much damage on the ceilings in the living & dining rooms.

But I am still on the fence about what to do. B doesn't want to take the chance that there is damage, he wants to buy tin tiles and go from there. We already have the furring strips up, so much of the work is done. If we take the strips down, and there is damage, it will be harder to go back. However, if there is little or no damage (from the nails used to hammer up the furring strips) then we could easily restore it back to its original condition. I have visions of painting the ceilings very cool colors, and putting up some appropriate medallions. I am restoring a brass chandelier that is just begging to be hung in the dining room, and a medallion would set it off perfectly. I can see his reasoning, and totally agree with him. But it would cost so much less, and be so much truer to the style, if we patched and sanded the few spots on the ceiling that may be damaged. I could even take off the wallpaper between the furring strips to see any preliminary damage now, before removing them. But, for today, we are done.

***

Well, I am done beating myself up about being a bad farmer. Yes, I am too attached to my cats, that's for sure. But I am what I am, and I can't help it. Someone needs to look out for the poor creatures who are dumped by those who are cruel and heartless. If people want to think I'm one of those eccentric cat collectors, then so be it. There are worse things to be known for.

Quick Cat Update:

Bub (barn kitty with a broken leg): She's doing fine. The vet said her leg has a great chance of healing properly on its own, based upon the muscles holding it in place and the lack of tissue damage. He advised "cage rest and neglect" and that is exactly what she is getting. We have her in a big dog kennel, complete with kitty bed, litterbox, food/water and soft blankies. Don't know how much longer she'll take to recuperate. I think it will be a matter of weeks.

Val (sick kitty that nearly died): He is still a bit sick with an eye infection. He has not gained much weight, and did not choose to use the litterbox. That was a HUGE problem in my house. So he is in another large airline kennel. He has the same accommodations as Bub. He does not like it, and constantly complains. But he gets more rest and recuperation in there, since when he is loose, the other cats want to play.

Nic (brother of Val, not as sick): He is doing GREAT. He plays, gets into all kinds of mischief, and tries to incite Shadow into a brawl at every opportunity. He is gaining weight, and is probably about 1 1/2 pound by now.

Shadow (our kitty for 6 years): After spending a few days disgruntled, he has come around. He enjoys battling Nic, and still comes around for luvs and attention. I am glad he's getting along well. He is 12, and he weights about 18 pounds. So he could really be nasty to the kittens if he wanted to be.





3 comments:

Michael said...

It must be a guy thing because I'd go for the tin too.
I see your tender touch is working their magic on cats.

Take Care
Michael

CeltiaSkye said...

If it's any comfort, I went from having 2 cats to having 15 cats in a manner of a few months. I took in a couple of stray cats who happened to be pregnant and then didn't have the heart to give away any of the kittens. So you've got a ways to go before you're in the crazy cat lady category.

BTW, anything feline that sets foot around here now gets a trip to the vet for a spay/neuter. :)

Sherri
serenitygulch.blogspot.com

Michael said...

It's been cold here too.
As I walked outside this morning I could hear the trees snap and crackle with the cold. I thought of you and thought that I would stop by with some hot coffee.

Take Care
Michael