Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Today was the best day so far this year at our farm. Well, work was crappy and the house was a mess, but I mean the kind of day that just makes you count your blessings.

It must have been 75 today, unseasonably warm. The breeze was warm, and even after dark it was balmy. I went out to bring everybody inside and give them hay and a smooch goodnight. I stood out there in the yard for what seemed like forever, just smelling the night smells-- the smell of earth, horses, grass, an awakening nature. It was magical! The frogs in the creek were croaking away, in their vibrato chorus, hearlding the end of winter.

Everywhere I've lived, I've found peace. I have stood outside and stared at each venue's version of the night sky, smelled the smells, and considered myself lucky. But in each place, if you listened hard enough you could hear the things you blocked out when you heard "nothing." Passing cars, honking buses, trains in the distance.

Not here. You hear nothing but the frogs and the wind. I could hear a horse stepping on a stick hundreds of yards away. In the distance I could hear coyotes. There is no white noise to block out, nothing to pretend you don't hear.

I am so very, very lucky.


Friday, Kitten will be leaving our farm. She is going to be leased to a little girl who will dote on her. We will be hosting Don Pecos, another Morgan, whom we know and love.

Don Pecos is a therapy horse. I had the amazing honor of helping a boy named Cody ride Pecos. Cody has what I suspect to be significant autism. He could not talk, but he did make efforts at communication.

That horse and little boy made the most amazing team. Cody would mumble his mumblings and somehow Pecos would understand. At the end of my time with him, we made signs, "walk", "jog", "stop." Cody would have to find his words to tell Pecos to stop, walk or jog as appropriate. Sort of like road signs.

And he did it! He was amazing. And even though nobody else could understand Cody without having to pay extremely close attention, Pecos focused all of his attention on Cody and understood every word. When Cody said jog, Pecos jogged. When he said walk, Pecos walked. Sometimes I wonder if horses somehow can read your mind.

I wouldn't be surprised.

We're looking forward to having Pecos here. I'll take pictures, of course.

1 comment:

Michael said...

And you sent along the warm winds to dry out my backyard. We are looking at 65 today. Thanks for sending spring and the blessings.

Take Care
Michael