Tuesday, July 12, 2005

One of those weeks

What's to tell? Nothing really...

I had a migraine on Sunday, and have been nursing the remnants of one each day since then. So I haven't had too much energy to do anything adventurous.

I took some pictures of kitties inside the house, and I'll post them later.

Ernie is not well. He is having tummy troubles, and just isn't himself. Fortunately, I have some things on hand that might help him. Did you know that you can use Pepto Bismol for a goat with a tummyache? You can. I also bought some ProBios, which is live beneficial bacteria that helps ruminents keep their digestive systems in order when they are physically stressed. I think Ernie might have to get a dose of that. The breeder from whom I bought the goats gave me some "potion" that her vet made up. She thought they might have a digestive reaction to the stress of the transport and new farm. They never did, but I did keep the potion and some penicillin on hand, should something arise. I'm glad I did. I already gave him the potion.

I think he will be fine, it's just one of those things! Maybe he's having sympathy pains for my migraine.

Cleo is being a pistol. She really has an attitude. With parents like Major and Kitten, she was sure to be born with an attitude!! She will now stand still for her fly spray, but recently has been avoiding letting me put on her fly mask. No fly mask=no outside. Today she was not happy when I didn't put her outside, but it's just cruel to have those flies congregating around the corners of her eyes. It did Pecos good to have a break from her outside anyway-- she always tears his fly mask off. He got to eat in peace today. But when I got home, she had an earfull for me!

Bubba's daughter and her cousin came over today to play with the kids. I didn't let them play long-- it was just before dinner. But they went into the barn (I said they could, and then watched them like a hawk from the kitchen window). B said she asked him if we had any kittens. Like we're going to tell them!! Our kids overheard us tell the sad story of Mark's kittens, so they know that Mark has kittens, but they don't know where they are (though it's so obvious!). I was bracing myself for the conversation where L told her we were going to shoot the dogs or something...

I think this weekend we are going to construct windows for the barn. I have to think long and hard about how to do it, because I want them to open up, but yet they have to have a guard over them so the horses don't break them out. It will let so much more light in there, and if we can open the window, so much more air. Right now we just have an east-west opening, but this would allow some air to come in from the south. The north windows are intact. There are already (south) windows in the barn, but they were broken out when we got here, and we just boarded them up. It's time for some barn improvement! I have also been meaning to do my annual spring powerwash of the barn (as it IS summer already!) but I want to be able to open it up and air it out so we don't have to inconvenience the animals too much as it dries out.

We have a serious fly issue. I am not sure why. I am vigilant about cleaning the stalls each morning, and usually the horses are out all day, so the stalls aren't too dirty. I am wondering if keeping the horses in the dry lot (the pasture goes unused becuase they are tubby and will fatten up if they are on pasture all day-- hence the goat solution) is making the fly problem seem worse. The manure collects in their favorite poop spot, and maybe that is why there seem to be so many more flies by the barn. Out in the pasture, it is spread out, and dries in the hot sun, so it is not as prime of a fly breeding ground. The manure pile itself, while it would SEEM to attract flies, is not really the fly attractant that you would think. It generates too much heat to be desireable for them. Truthfully, it smells very earthy, and not stinky at all, and I see very few flies around it.

In response to the influx of flies, I have bought some fly predators. Hopefully this will help to solve the problem. I also bought some fly traps. They stink to high heavens and attract the flies to drown in the water inside. It's really gross, but it's very effective. My dad also told me that the neighbors at his house hang plastic bags full of water, and nothing else, and the flies avoid going around them. I had actually heard that just the day before from a completely different source! So I tried it. Well, those Arizona flies must be stupid, and the Iowa flies must be geniuses. Because they are not phased one bit. You can just imagine them saying, "Thanks, lady, for the drink. It's mighty dry out there in that poop."

I think I am losing this battle, and it's a nasty one.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Busy lady!

Don't let them run you down.


Take Care
Michael