Thursday, November 24, 2005

Because I said so.

Before I had children, I said I would never tell them to do something "because I told you so." Now that I have children, I have cast aside all of my “I’ll never do thats” in favor of more traditional parental behavior.

“Because I said so” is much better than carefully explaining the reasons behind a decision. You can’t argue with “because I said so.” Case in point:

Me: “Hey, be sure to grab a coat when you go outside.”

L: “Why?”

Me: “Because it’s cold out!”

L: “I’m not cold.”

Me: "It's 30 degrees outside!"

L: "It doesn't feel that cold to me."

Me: “You may not feel cold now, but you will when you go outside.”

L: “No, really, mom, I won’t be. I’ll be fine.”

Me: (really irritated by now) You were sick with a sore throat yesterday! Put your coat on when you go outside!”

L: “But really, mom, I’m not sick today. I feel much better.”

Me: “I TOLD YOU TO PUT YOUR COAT ON WHEN YOU GO OUTSIDE! DO WHAT I SAY!!”

I should have just said “Because I said,” after the first time he asked “Why”!!

No comments: