Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

To say that today was the worst day of my life would be an overreaction, but let’s just say it has earned its place on the list of days I don’t want to repeat.

It really started last night, with a tragedy. L had a music conference, and we hurried out of the driveway, and one of the kittens was in the way, and it was hit by our car. I feel so badly, so incredibly sad. (I will elaborate on his condition later, but I will tell you now so you don’t wonder, that he is banged up, but okay.) I heard him meow, and then I pulled forward again, and he ran away. So I took that as a sign that he was not so injured that he could not move. I got out, of course, and couldn’t find him, but I could hear him meowing. We had to go, because L had a concert, and he was graded on his attendance. We were already running late.

So when we got home, I took out the flashlight and looked for him with no luck. I did not sleep well all night, wondering and worrying about him. I prayed that he died quickly, or that he was only mildly hurt. I looked forward to the morning when I could go out and look again for him.

I went out as soon as the alarm went off at 5:30 with no luck.

I came in, and L had a sore, swollen throat, and we made the call that he would stay home, and I would stay home with him. We got M out the door to school.

I decided that I should go into work and pick up a few projects that I could work on from home. I can take L with me if necessary, and he plays in my office and draws, etc., while I take care of business, so that was fine. He came out to the car less than appropriately dressed, so I sent him back in with my keys so he could change.

He came back out, sure to lock the door, without my keys… he had locked us out!

So B had to come home and unlock the door. While sitting in the car, waiting for B, we saw the kitten come out from his hiding. His back leg looks broken or bruised, but he is putting weight on it and is able to walk. So we fashioned up the sick quarters just like we did for Bub, about this time a year ago. While I did not take him to the vet, I presume the same rx applies: “cage rest and neglect.” We bought him some canned food and gave him some blankets, his own litter box and fresh water in his kennel, and he is sleeping and resting very soundly. I think he will be fine in a few weeks.

I then made the trip into work, and took care of business.

When we got back, it was so nice outside that we let the goats out. They have been in their pens for a week or so, and while their pens are large enough that they have room to play and run around, there is nothing like a big paddock and some fresh air to bring out the spring in your step. I reasoned about what to do with Joe Llama, since he really isn’t that tame at this point, but I decided that being away from the goats would distress him, and he would likely have bonded with them enough at this point, that he would comply with my wishes so he could be near them.

I’m thinking you know where this is going…

All was well, and I was looking out the window admiring my flock, when the goats got crazy-spooky-squirrelly and ran around the paddock, spooking Joe Llama so that he ran frantically to the corner, and proceeded to jump the fence! Of course, the fence is 5’ high, and he could not easily jump it, so he was literally hanging from the fence on the other side. His leg was stuck in the fence panel, too! Of course, I ran out immediately, and as soon as I got out there, he had extracted himself (leaving a chunk of wool on the fence), and was limping around on three feet. Oy vey! And then he was in the big pasture, where previously we had not been able to catch him. Fortunately, I used the goats to lure him back into the paddock, but he was frantic, and I was not up for chasing him around and making him more upset. So there they stayed.

I came back inside, and the phone rang. It was our pastor, and he was reminding me that M was 20 minutes late for her confirmation class! I had not even checked my calendar! So we rushed off to that.

When we came back, I decided to start trying to get Joe back inside before it got dark. I was out there for 1.5 hours before the kids came out and helped me. We cornered him and I was able to get his halter on without incident, and by this time he had stopped limping.

Everyone got fed, watered, and tucked in for the night.

If ever there was a night that I needed a drink, it is tonight.

No comments: