Saturday, December 24, 2005

Who's Your Santa?

Quite a few years ago, when L was about 4, he decided that there was no Santa. We were driving in the car, and he noticed a couple of Santas at different stores, and we had just seen one at the mall. He came right out and said, ‘Santa is make-believe, right?” What could we say?

Well, we don’t believe that there is a man at the North Pole making toys, but we do believe that Santa is alive and well. We tell the kids that we are all Santas for each other. I am Santa for a lot of people, and B is my Santa, and the kids are Santas for us. It’s cool to be a Santa. And this year, L asked me for something, and I said, “I’ll tell Santa that you want that.” So he may or may not get it, and who knows which Santa might get it for him? Santa’s still a mystery…

My Santa didn’t have a very large list this year. I told him I wanted a wedding band. Mind you, I already have a very lovely wedding ring, complete with sparkleys, but working outside so much I am afraid that I will lose the diamond in my engagement ring. I told Santa I just wanted a plain gold band. I did think that it must be strange to hear that—most women want larger diamonds after being married for 15 years. He reminded me that I “was not like most women.” Not sure how to take that…

My second item on the wish list is Karma. I adore Karma, as do the people who get close enough to smell me…

But, my first wish is what has been at the very top of my list every year, a horse.

It’s peaceful here. It’s 10:00 pm. We came back from church a few hours ago, with songs in our hearts and uplifted spirits. It’s dark and quiet outside, and the only sounds on the inside are the snoring of my kids and the padding around of the kitties. I’m baking bread for tomorrow’s feast, and the house smells yummy. It’s warm and cozy and the tree lights are magical.

Here’s hoping your Christmas is the best. Wish your Santa a Merry Christmas from me too.

No comments: