Friday, August 18, 2006

Biting the Hand That Feeds You

Something like that isn't a good idea.

The horses that we are caring for on a very limited basis live outside most of the time. They are not as friendly (as a rule) as the other horses that we care for. Certainly not as friendly or needing as much human interaction as Major. There is one, Waco, that does like people, but he has personal space issues.

Waco is only 2 and is still growing. His owner asked if we could feed him twice a day. That is no problem, we feed 2x a day anyway. But we don't feed the horses, since in the summer we have a pasture full of tasty grass. Nobody needs grain in the summer unless they are working hard or not an easy keeper. Neither is the case with those that we care for. Except Waco.

Typically I take the grain outside in a bucket, and Waco knows the drill-- he runs into the paddock, where I close the gate and let him eat in peace, before everyone else tries to push him away. Waco is the low guy on the totem pole, so he loses the battle every time.

Yesterday Major was already in the paddock, so Waco didn't have anywhere to go. I was trying to yell at Major to get out, but Waco was trying to get at the bucket in my hand. It got more intense, until Waco was slamming his body against me, trying to get the grain. The situation was worsened by the immense amount of mud that was in our pasture (just outside the barn door), so I was afraid of being pushed down in the mud and trampled. I smacked Waco with the bucket, and he had the nerve to turn his butt around at me and kick at me with two back feet!! If I would have had some good footing, I would have beat the daylights out of him. But I was scared of falling.

So I did what I don't like to do. I went inside and got a big old whip. And I cracked it. And I liked it.

And I was instantly in charge.

No comments: