Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Blessed Event

Yes, it finally happened. It was one of those days, let me tell you…

Monday was Precious’ due date, but we were wishing the babies would have arrived on the weekend. We both had events that we couldn’t miss, and we were still having trouble accessing the cam away from home. It worked perfectly while we were at home. Go figure.

I rushed home after work, and saw that her udder was quite large, but thankfully, no babies yet. I milked a bit out of her, which also is a sign that babies are imminent. I knew from personal experience, though, that these things often take time. So I expected a middle-of-the-night delivery. I went inside and took it easy and dozed after supper. Of course, we had her on the cam loud and clear.

B woke me up about 12:30 to go to bed, and I couldn’t get to sleep, as she was bleating quite loudly with every labor pain. She was still in early labor, though. I finally decided I would do more good outside with her than inside in bed not sleeping, so I went out.

It was BITTERLY cold. I put on three pairs of pants, three shirts, two pair of socks (one wool), two coats, a scarf, hat, and my new thinsulate mittens. Then I found an old white comforter that could be bleached when done, and I took it out and wrapped myself in it. I was absolutely chilled to the bone. My feet were in intense pain from being so cold. But I remembered the pain of labor, and realized that Precious probably hurt more than I did. I finally brought my car to the barn so I could go out periodically and warm up. I must have fallen asleep about 5-5:30 am in the car, as when I woke up and went back into the barn, her water had broken. I expected to see pushing soon.

I did my chores, and came into the house to make sure that everyone was up and getting ready for school. They had no idea I had been up all night. In fact, B told me he had a dream that I told him she was kidding and I was going out to the barn. I told him it was no dream!!

I finally called my friend S and asked her when I could expect pushing. She said that the babies were likely not into the birth canal and were malpresented. I needed to go in with a glove, adjust the way they were presenting, and help her get them out.

WHAT?!! I had not signed up for this!! I know that complications happen, but the first time?! Why me?? She said that I should try it first and then call the vet if there were problems.

Time was of the essence, of course. However, not only did we need to get these kids born, but B and I both had to go to work. I had a conference call that I needed to be on, and an appointment to discuss some items with another colleague just before that. I needed to leave by 10:30 am.

So I took my OB glove and went in. I found the babies, and repositioned them, and she pushed them out. I was truly convinced that I had not acted fast enough and that they would be dead. To my tearful jubilation, they were both born healthy and very much alive! We dried them off and momma loved on them, but we ultimately had to take them into the house, as it was so incredibly cold. She missed them, but is doing fine, and happy to be free of that excess weight!

We have had to milk her and then bottle feed the babies, which is a lot of work (and very cold for us). But it is worth it. The babies are inside, in the mud room, in a dog kennel. We let them out when we feed them, and they are fun to play with and be around. They are absolutely adorable—hard to believe that they grow into such large livestock!

Pictures are below. And oh—no names yet!







2 comments:

Michael said...

adorable

Take Care
Michael

CorkysMom said...

OMG, much better pics than I got to see on B's phone...they are BEYOND adorable! Congrats!!!!!!!