Friday, March 23, 2007

One of those days...

I thought it was going to be a good day. There ARE lots of good things about this day, one being that I worked from home, so I worked in sweats from the couch, enjoying the gorgeous view. The kids were good, quiet and didn't fight. It was a gorgeous, 70 degree day, too, and my "breaks" were spent enjoying the spring loveliness.

HOWEVER, it was one crappy stroke of luck after another.

I slept too late. Which, in and of itself was a good thing. But that puts me late to the barn, and the animals disapprove. Disapproval is demonstrated in lots of yelling and little cooperation. This morning I was treated to an uncooperative milker, who tried her best to get away from me. I couldn't lift her onto the fitting stand, and she would not stand still. Several times she stepped into the milk bucket. That ordeal over, I was ready to get to work.

I had an issue with Quark Express, which meant that I needed to reinstall the program. We had it at work, and I had to download it from our apps server-- it took me 3 hours. : ( On high speed broadband. I had to download Quark before I could do about 10 other things that were on my list.

Then I went to do laundry. To find out that my dryer belt had broken. I can't dry my clothes now. And laundry was not done by any stretch of the imagination.

So then I moved to dishes. And I found that the sink was stopped up. I used the plunger with no success. Suddenly L told me that there was a huge puddle on the floor-- my overzealous plunging had burst an ancient pipe under the sink. It was draining all over the floor. I have dishes all over my countertops and on the stove. And dishpans full of water sitting out. It's 8:15 and B is at the hardware store getting parts. So he can fix the sink. So I can fix supper. So the kids can shower and go to bed.

So I can drink heavily.

Then one of the kids noticed that one of the goats was out. I went to guide her back into the barn, and instead of going into the barn, she tried to get back into the paddock-- by going under the fence. Which is like a 4" space. So of course, she could not get back out. Was stuck under the fence by her horns. Thank GOD she did not panic, which is what I would have expected her to do. She just lied down calmly until I could manipulate her head and horns out from underneath the fence.

Next was rassling with the uncooperative milker, who ended up spilling about 3/4 of a quart of milk. I could have strangled her. We need nearly a gallon of milk a day to feed the babies, and she spilled a good deal of it. No, I didn't cry over spilled milk, but I was sure pissed about it. It's one thing if it's an accident, but she's just being a diva pill, and there is no reason for it. It feels good to her to have that milk milked out of her, and we are gentle and kind to her.

B just called. Of COURSE the hardware store in our little town was closed, so he had to go into the big city. He isn't even there yet. Ugh, what a crappy day.

However, I know that I can still find three good things today, which is hopeful. But I can find about a million bad things...

Here's to tomorrow.

2 comments:

Smukke said...

Sometimes we have days when everything goes wrong just so we can appreciate the days when at least one thing goes *right*!!

Iowa Greyhound said...

What a Friday!! I have some extra pvc if you need some. :-)