Saturday, November 03, 2007

Cranky

Well, today begins day 3 of our bathroom project. We have not even completely finished demolishing the room. It is very discouraging, and I am cranky. We have no bathroom facilities indoors, except for sponge baths in the sink and the sawdust toilet, both of which are not sufficient for more than a few days. B goes back to work on Monday, and I go back on Wednesday. Tiling the floor will take significant time-- both in the tiling process and in the curing time.

My husband is an amazing builder. He is very meticulous and precise-- both traits that I do not appreciate enough. Instead his lack of speed frustrates me. As I write this I know that I would not have it any other way, since I want a quality job that we can be proud of. But I am freaking out about the time remaining, and he continues to work very carefully and slowly, assuring me that we will get done in time. I am not so sure.

To our defense, the time we budgeted would have been enough, even with the few issues that came up unexpectedly (a broken water pipe, nonstandard size [of course!] that needed to be repaired), etc. However, the fire burned all of our tools. While we purchased the tools we knew we'd need, when things arose or we had forgotten about something, we had to run and buy more tools. It has also caused us to be majorly over budget. So I am cranky and bitchy today.

I know I will be much better when the bathroom is done! I probably will not blog again until it is finished. You don't want to hear me bitch! Not only that, but here I am typing and not working! I am taking pictures along the way, though. No exciting finds, except for the fact that our house is in nearly pristine shape. I am gobsmacked at how beautifully crafted this home is. She is amazingly sturdy and enduring. No mold, no damage, even a noticeable lack of spider webs and dust. It's almost divine.

Today we frame out a window (more marriage enrichment!) and put in the insulation, cement walls and flooring. Tonight we tile. If all goes our way.

On a positive note, all the girls are pregnant except one. We should have 10 babies by spring, if we are lucky.

No comments: