Saturday, September 13, 2008

Happy Anniversaries

It is the 4th year anniversary of my blog.  September 13th, 2004 I decided to chronicle my transformation from suburban housewife to country woman.  As I sit and write this now, I don't think I could have painted a more fitting picture:  It's about 75 degrees, with a light wind.  I am watching a glorious sunset, and as it has been gloomy, damp and cool for the past few days, now that the windows are open, the cats are enjoying the weather too, and I am watching them silhouetted in the sun's rays.  The beans are just about ready to harvest, and the corn is not too far behind.  I can hear the crickets, and the cats meowing outside.  Except for the snip of my kids' scissors (homework), I can't hear another human being at all.  No cars, no whirring, humming, nothing.  Oh, I do hear the occassional wind chimes from the front porch.


Bliss.


I don't think I have to say that I was meant to be here and wouldn't trade it for the world.  So, while it's not the anniversary of when we bought this farm, I will take this occassion to breathe in the beauty that surrounds me and be thankful.   Happiness!


It is yet another special day-- even more special than my blog-o-versary.  It is the 21st anniversary of the day I met my best friend.  He and I met at a party, though that story has been retold countless times.  Not really a first date, is what I meant to say.


A few days later, he told me that he loved me.  It was hard to believe-- we had known each other for such a short time, and I was afraid it was just infatuation.  No need to fear.  I have asked him, and he says with absolute conviction, that he did love me that day-- he just loves me more now.  I can live with that.


I can live very happily with that.


We celebrate this day every year, marking it in some way or another.  It's not necessarily a big blowout-- sometimes just a homemade dinner for two, a movie after the kids go to bed, or a drink on the front porch.  But, in 21 years, it has never slipped by unnoticed or un-celebrated.


Happy September 13th.  Go kiss your boyfriend (or girlfriend).


2 comments:

Iowa Greyhound said...

Congrats, happy anniversaries! Did you shoot guns to celebrate?

Goat Mom said...

No shooting was involved in the celebration. :)