Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This makes me sick

AP Exclusive: Video shows workers abusing pigs - Yahoo! News

What is wrong with people?  I just blogged about people being cruel to pets and how farmers have a different attitude, and that while they are perceived to be cruel because they slaughter their animals, that is not the case (in the vast majority of cases).

I can in no way find any good in the article referenced above.  However, let me just point out that those people on those farms are not small farmers, or the farm owners.  Those are workers, hired to come to the farm for the day, work with the animals and go home.  It is likely that they do not see any rewards or incentive for weight gain or animals that thrive.  I don't know that for certain, but my guess is that they are paid the same regardless of outcome.  Their paycheck is not affected by their cruelty.

For farms like mine, the opposite is true.  Not only do we name our animals and treat them with care and respect, but if they are treated cruelly and do not thrive, it hits us in the pocketbook.  We are not cruel people, but if we were, we would have incentive not to be cruel to our animals.

I don't know what the answer to this horrible situation is.  Factory farms are hotbeds of this kind of thing, although I am reluctant to paint them all with the same broad brush.  There are bad people and good people everywhere.  However, as I said before, if you have people that have no direct stake in whether the animals live or die, thrive or fall behind, then it's as if cruelty is tolerated.

I was happy to read Temple Grandin quoted in this article.  Temple is an amazing woman.  B saw her speak a few years ago. Temple has autism, just like M.  It is encouraging to see her be so passionate about her craft, respected for her knowledge and sought out as an expert.  Gives me hope.

I will go hug my goats now.  :(

No comments: