Saturday, December 25, 2004

Saint Nic


DSCF0001
Originally uploaded by Terre d'Esprit.



I had an unexpected present today! Of course, I got the usual goodies, and a lot of things that I needed but didn't even ask for. (See previous post on being blessed!)

However, I am feeding my neighbor's horses again, and it is miserable there. They have a stock tank that is completely frozen, and I have to break the ice each morning and fill it as best I can, so the horses have a bit of water. They are resorting to licking the ice.

Today, B and I went over together, and resolved to break the ice and take all of the chunks out so the horses could drink (and he did!). I was watering another horse, and noticed a cute kitten running around the paddock. I noticed him especially because he liked people, which was unusual for most of the cats around there, including mine (which have moved over to the neighbor's, except in extreme cold weather, at which point they feel free to use me and stomp on my fragile emotions...).

I was watering the horse, and noticed that the hose was spraying from where it was connected to another hose. I came back around the corner to notice the kitten trying to drink from the spray in the hose. That wouldn't have been so bad, but he was so desperate for water that he was literally being showered by the water, which was soaking him to the skin and freezing in his hair. He had also been eating oats off of the ground because he was so hungry. I just grabbed him on instinct and shoved him in my coat to keep him warm. (I looked a bit like the Alien giving birth, as his head hung out of my coat.) He was shaking uncontrollably, and was not much more than a skeleton with fur. Of course, I couldn't part with him and brought him home. B was fine with it! : )

Given my previous experiences with mice in our house, I had considered bringing one of BB's kittens to live with us in the house (before they abandoned me). Ultimately, they never would let me get close enough to them to make friends. So it didn't happen.

I ended up in the driveway back at our house, with the kitten in my coat, and B and I just decided to bring him in.

I bathed him and gave him some water. He has drunk so much water since then! Of course, he has also eaten his fill of cat food. He is such a love, though he is still getting to know the other animals. The dogs know their place around cats, but Shadow, our old cat, is having a hard time. Of course, it's just been a few hours, and I bet they will become fast friends.

I'm not sure if he was my Christmas present, or if I was his.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: