Monday, January 31, 2005

Quiet

Quiet is the theme for today. I am trying to stay quiet and pensive. I always say the smartest babies are those who don't cry, and just look around and take it all in.

I'm trying to be like that, just spending more time absorbing and listening, than running my mouth and mind to make comments and judgements.

So on the way home I saw a herd of deer. Probably about 12 of them, crossing the road. They were magnificent. I suppose they're ordinary, around here. Quite commonplace, and even a nuisance to some. But, to me, they are amazing. Quiet (in keeping with today's theme!), soft, unimposing. Cautious and calm. I watched them as long as I was able, as they jumped the fence on the top of the hill on the east side of the road, then bounded downhill to the road, cautiously crossed it and jumped the fence to the west, heading into the forest along the railroad track.

Closer to my house I saw a male pheasant. Crisp and colorful, in all of his glory. And so quiet. I slowed and spent a moment just appreciating his beauty.

I did my afternoon chores, and spent some extra time just being calm and enjoying. It's overcast and gray, foggy in some spots. Still and quiet. I noticed that there are no birds around. I realize that in winter there are fewer birds, but today the trees around my house were completely void of birds and bird sounds. That was a little sad. I hope they come back soon.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I'll tip toe away and not disturb the quiet.


SSSsssshhhhh
Michael