Saturday, September 03, 2005

Am I Tacky Enough?

I entered a contest for America's tackiest room. Our mudroom is incredibly tacky. It has paneling from floor to ceiling in the entire room. It's a small room, like 10x9. That would be a fine sized room, especially for a mudroom, but when you panel it, it instantly becomes overwhelmed. Its best feature is the lovely period light that is in it. I wish everything else had been so well-preserved!! Of course, there is wallpaper on the ceiling. The vinyl on the floor is somewhat tacky, though with the right decorating, it could stay. It's just not of this era... It also has an archway that was carved out into the kitchen area. Very few men can fit through the archway without minding their heads.

When we moved in, there was paneling on the closet doors in the room! I couldn't stand to look at it, so we took the paneling off. One of the other lovely decorating features of the paneling is that it didn't go all the way to the ceiling, so they put patches on above the paneling. They did try to meet the two pieces of paneling, but sometimes it's skewed. Then they took a piece of trim and covered the seam, to look like some sophisticated picture molding.

What would be ideal for this room is some wainscoting. I would love to tear the paneling down and go for it. I'd also like to have some built in storage, since it IS a mud room. The problem with it now is that the bathroom is off of that room, so everybody has to walk through it to get to the bathroom. There is also an outside door in that room. This house is somewhat convoluted!

Anyway, I entered a contest for the America's Tackiest Room. Looking at some of the entries, I think there are some tackier rooms out there!! However, I do hope my room wins (I should have left the paneling on the doors)! Take a look and tell me what you think. Click here. Our entry is #238. Oh, and bear in mind that some of the judging is on clutter, so I had to leave some in there!

No comments: