Sunday, August 20, 2006

Call me weird, but...

Maybe it's because I'm a transplant, or maybe it's because I am just strange. But each year our state fair tries to top the last year for something shocking "on a stick." Everything there is on a stick, the joke is that at some point they will figure out how to put soup on a stick. First there were some good ideas-- they have this giant turkey leg (it looks deep fried), but that's kind of on a stick. Then they put a pork chop on a stick. That's a good idea, too. Of course, we have corn dogs, and they have invented a chili dog that has the chili inside the cornbread, so you can have a chili dog on a stick. Okay great.

But then, there is always someone that take it a little too far. Someone who ruins it for those who are innocent. That happened when they started battering and deep fat frying things like twinkies and snickers bars. Yep, they stick a snickers in some corn bread batter, put it on a stick, deep fat fry it, dunk it in some sort of sugar water mixture, throw a little powdered sugar on it, and for $3.00 you can have a heart attack on a stick! Each year they try to top the last year, and so far I know of (and maybe there are more) a battered and fried twinkie on a stick, hostess cupcake, snickers, milky way and reeses peanut butter cup.

I had not had any of this, but yesterday I went to the fair with a friend, who told me that this was the equivalent of manna, and that I must have it. I admit, I had been curious, but really was not sure. So I went for it and got the snickers.

It was way overrated. It was roughly on the order of a s'more-- melted chocolate with a breaded crust. But it was way too much, and after I ate it I felt gross. I will not be trying any other varieties, but I would consider the pork chop, as it is not breaded or deep fat fried. And I understand that it has been voted the favorite fair food!

Today I am going to the meat goat show. We'll see how that goes! I saw a lot of goats yesterday, and am encouraged-- Aurora could easily compete with them. I may show her in a couple of weeks at a different show.

Today is the last day of the fair, and we got to go four times. We're down a little from last year. : ) But hey, it rained all week.

1 comment:

Iowa Greyhound said...

The pork chop on the stick does sound good!

But, yeah, the deep fried everything at the fair is kind of gross.

Someone needs a Subway like fair stand with healthy food!